Making repairs and restorations to listed properties can often be fraught with regulations and restrictions. Ventrolla have over 35 years’ experience working with listed properties and are committed to providing you with the best advice and guiding you step-by-step through the process.
When the rules & regulations
need to be followed
When upgrading or refurbishing your windows most councils and conservation officers would ask that you renovate your windows where possible, saving as much of the original window. Upgrading is nearly always preferable to replacement. We’ve helped many listed property owners through the planning application process – providing our window-by-window survey, our recommendations and any drawings or specifications needed to help the councils understand the work that will be undertaken.
Ventrolla's Advice For Listed Properties:
When embarking renovation of a Listed property it’s useful to research as much as you can. We’ve gathered a list of resources that you may find helpful:
If you own a listed property and are thinking of renovating the period windows we always recommend you speak with your local conservation officer first to check if you require Listed Building Consent or Planning Permission before any work commences. We can then provide a window-by-window quotation detailing the work required, plus any accompanying documentation your planning officer may wish to see.
Your planning officer will want to know the details about your planned window renovation project:
- Sash window units are carefully removed from the window frame
- Any decaying timber in the units, frame or sill is routed out to expose the “sound” timber
- Occasionally, new timber is spliced in or replaced where the existing timber is beyond repair
- Our unique epoxy resin, VR90, is used to fill the cavities and is moulded to match the existing profile of the timber
- Sash cords are replaced, pulleys serviced and the sashes correctly balanced to ensure the smooth operation of the windows
- The windows are also upgraded by fitting the Ventrolla Perimeter Sealing System (VPSS), which virtually eliminates draughts and rattles
- At the same time, the Ventrolla Sash Removal System (SRS) can also be fitted to ease future painting, cleaning and maintenance.