“Ventrolla understood how important it was for us to preserve the original features, as well as ensuring the windows in the extension were in keeping with the rest of the house."
Louis and Haley Smith invested in the near derelict Dunsley House, in the large village of Kinver in South Staffordshire, in December 2009 after having their eye on the three storey property since 2006.
Due to the scale of the project, renovation specialists were needed and the couple appointed Ventrolla Staffordshire and Salop when it came to the unique sash windows.
The sash window experts restored 12 sash windows and installed the Ventrolla Perimeter Sealing System (VPSS), improving the performance of the windows whilst eradicating draughts and rattles.
Ventrolla also made 18 new sash windows, which were installed into new openings in the original building to create extra light, as well as in a new extension. These new sash windows were specifically crafted to match the profile of the existing windows, to maintain the character of the historic home.
Louis said: “Ventrolla understood how important it was for us to preserve the original features, as well as ensuring the windows in the extension were in keeping with the rest of the house. The end product they delivered is brilliant. We were also really impressed with Ventrolla’s efficiency from start to finish of the project as they had to work alongside a huge internal refit.”
Ventrolla also upgraded the clear glass arched window of the front door by bonding timber to the glass to create a multi-panel effect.
The whole project finally came to an end in December 2010, just in time for the couple to settle in before Christmas and take advantage of the heat retention, thanks to the VPSS.
Louis added: “The previous owners had told us that the house was cold but having had the Ventrolla system fitted we didn’t notice the cold winter at the end of 2010, and actually found the house to be warm.”
Located in a conservation area and built on Greenbelt land, Dunsley House has a rich historical past. Built in 1820 by the local industrial family, Hancott, the property was leased to the Girls Friendly Society in 1900.
It also played multiple roles in WW2, firstly as a hospital base for injured soldiers and then rumoured to have been the evacuation location of Dudley Zoo’s animals during bomb raids in Birmingham.